Search and Shop
We offer the following services free of charge
- You can visit our searchroom to look at original documents, microfilm and online family history resources on the People’s Network PCs, including some sites that are normally subscription or pay per view (Ancestry and Find My Past where you will find our Cheshire Collection)
- We can advise you on research and archive sources in person, by telephone or email
- You can search our online catalogue
- We have a number of databases extracted from original records held at the Cheshire Record Office.
Search databases | Order copies | Order publications | Request research
- Cheshire wills, 1492-1940. Wills of Cheshire residents proved in Chester. You can now search for Cheshire wills and download copies on Find My Past
- Overleigh Cemetery, Chester, 1850-1950
- Freemen of Chester, 1747-1925
- Railway staff database, c1869-c1950. Registers of 4 railways companies, covering parts of Cheshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire and Wales.
- Crewe railway works, c1890-1928. Records of employees at Crewe railway works.
- John Ramsbottom presentation volume. Includes the names of all employees of the Locomotive Department of the London and North Western Railway in 1871. Please note that there is a charge for downloading images from the volume.
- Chester city gaol registers, 1808-1865
- Cheshire military records, 16th-19th centuries. With 21,000 names taken from a range of records relating to military service
- Runcorn Crew Lists With 30,000 names of owners, masters and crewmen of every ship registered in the Port of Runcorn between 1863 and 1913.
We can provide digital and paper copies of:
- Parish registers
- Other original documents held by Cheshire Archives and Local Studies Service
- Order copies now
Please note that we do not issue birth or death certificates. You will need to contact the relevant register office - go to CheshireBMD for further details.
Current waiting times for copies.
How much will my copy order cost?
Our charges can be found here. We can only accept payment in pounds sterling and cheques must be made payable to Cheshire West and Chester Council.
If you do not know exactly what you require, please e-mail the record office or make use of our research service.
Can I still order copies by post?
Please contact the Cheshire Record Office, Duke Street, Chester, CH1 1RL (Tel 01244 972574) to obtain order forms.
Our online bookshop offers a wide range of books, pamphlets, CD-Roms on a variety of topics.
Order publications now
If you cannot visit the Record Office in person, our professional researcher can undertake genealogical and historical research on your behalf.
More information, charges and how to request research