Volunteers play an important role within our service, last year contributing almost 3000 hours of their time, working alongside all our staff to:
- help preserve the records in our care
- add information about the books, maps, pamphlets and records we hold to our catalogue
- create indexes to increase access to some of the most popular records we hold
- promote and share information about our collections
Our volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and bring a wealth of experience, knowledge and dedication to the service. In return we offer the opportunity to be part of our team, to learn more about Cheshire and its written heritage and to pick up or practise new skills.
Examples of past volunteer projects are
- data entry for the Overleigh Cemetery, Tithe Apportionment, Railway Staff, Military Records, Trade Directories and Chester Gaol databases
- cleaning and packaging of Cheshire wills and marriage licence bonds and allegations
- improving the catalogue descriptions in the Fodens of Elworth, vehicle manufacturers, collection
Currently our volunteers on site are
- helping to catalogue historic prints and rare books from the Local Studies collection
- packaging aerial photographs
- helping to catalogue local authority building plans
- creating indexes to individuals appearing in historic court records
If you can't help us on site in Chester, we have projects that you can help with in a place and at a time to suit you. Volunteers are working remotely to transcribe, index and build a live database of Cheshire's First World War servicemen for their areas.
We are also looking for more volunteers for our Medieval Deeds Project.
Interested in becoming a volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering at Cheshire Archives and Local Studies please send us a message. We will ask you to complete a short form to give you the chance to tell us about your skills, interests and experience. We will then ask you along for a visit to talk about our current projects to help choose the right project for you. If we can't offer a place straight away we will ask if we can keep your details on file and contact you again when an opportunity arises.